Paying for College

The Deadline for the 2018 CA Dream Act is Friday, March 2

Are you undocumented? Do you want to go to College? The AB 540 law can help you!

AB 540 allows undocumented students in California pay in-state tuition rates at California public community colleges and universities (UCs and Cal States included). In order to qualify you must meet the following requirements:

    1. You must have attended a California High School for a minimum of 3 years.
    2. You must have graduated from a California High School
    3. Fill out an affidavit that says you will apply for US residency as soon as it is possible for you to do so.

To take advantage of the in-state tuition, you must submit the AB 540 affidavit to your college or university’s Admissions Office for Community Colleges, Office of the Registrar for UC’s, and Office of Admissions and Records for Cal States.


The key benefit of AB 540 is that it allows undocumented students to pay in-state tuition rates, which are significantly more affordable than out of state tuition rates.


AB 540 also allows undocumented students to qualify for state-based financial aid under the California Dream Act.

The California Dream Act (AB 130 & AB 131) provides financial assistance to AB 540 students.


AB 130 ensures that AB 540 students are eligible for scholarships made available by the universities in the UC and Cal State systems.


AB 131 allows AB 540 students to receive financial aid from the state of California through the California Dream Act Application which opens from January through March of every year.


By applying for the California Dream Act, AB 540 students can receive Cal Grants if they meet financial requirements.


Additionally, AB 540 students attending a California community college are now eligible to apply for the Board of Governor’s (BOG) Fee Waiver, which waives all tuition fees for during the year of application as long as financial requirements are met. To apply for the BOG contact your school’s financial aid office.


The California Dream Act also allows AB 540 students to apply for EOPS services. For more information contact your school’s EOPS office.

Related Links

Partner Links